Saturday, May 8, 2021

May Days

I have a serious case of writer's block but am determined to keep up with my goal of a post per month, so rather than try to paint a picture with words, I will share with you some photos from our past month.  We couldn't have had a prettier springtime, and it has continued.  I'm chomping at the bit to plant tomatoes, but I also learned a hard lesson last year when we had a killing freeze on May 11th!  So, I am trying to hold back.

In the meantime, we have been hiking, planting potatoes, doing schoolwork, and cooking.  Always cooking.  I do not know what I am going to do when I have 3 teenage boys to feed, as I am already barely able to keep up with their appetites!  For scrawny little runts, they sure do eat a lot.  I am counting on them being able to cook for themselves in a few more years, and so far, they are doing pretty well in the their training!  

There is no big news on the homefront, which is always a good thing.  Tom and I are still married, the boys are finishing up 5th and 4th grades and Dominic is graduating from "Grandma's Preschool" this month.  He is wise beyond his years and recently completed the "know how to jump on one foot" task that was on his "Things Kids Should Know Before Kindergarten" checklist.  So, I guess he's ready now.

Our dog did chase off a bear last week, so I make sure the boys go into the woods in pairs now so that they can give the bear options.  Our dog, Chessie, is the best when it comes to chasing off squirrels, rat snakes, bears, and UPS deliverers.  

So, without further elaboration, here is our collage of all things Springtime 2021 so far.

Our at-home Easter Vigil ceremony,
 lighting our Pascal candle

Dying our eggs with natural food dyes

Spring cleaning. If you are looking
 for a natural floor wax, try coconut oil!

A spring break trip to Lost River Cave in western KY

With a side trip to the Fathers of Mercy chapel

Potatoes in the ground

Morel mushrooms, a delicacy!

A trip to Frozen Head State Park to look for wildflowers.

Large white trillium

Black-eyed Pea, our new hen, laid her first egg!

My little boy isn't little anymore. 
Here he is teaching 2nd graders about the human body.

Baby broccoli plants in the ground.


Rhubarb after the rain.

Big brother made little brother an omelet!

Homeschool art class

And the beat goes on.   Happy May Days to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment