Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I Suppose I Should Be Happy...UPDATED

We got a call today that a potential buyer accepted the offer on our house in Missouri. Given the housing market today, I know this is good news.   Our house was on the market for less than a month, and during that time, we got two offers. This latest one is about what we'd hoped for, and to sell a house in less than a month in rural Missouri makes us pretty lucky, I know.

But...

Once we sign the contract and close on the deal, our ability to adopt closes too.    Sure, we could start the process over again in our new state but as many of you know, going through the home study process is lengthy, time-consuming, not to mention, expensive.  And then there is our age...mid-forties now.     We've already been approved and waiting for over a year. So, yeah, we aren't exactly gung-ho on starting all over.

I am trying to put this all in God's hands.   It's not easy.  We really wanted that adopted baby we thought we were going to have.   I wanted the boys to have a sibling that wasn't their age.   I wanted Joah to have an adopted sibling, in particular, so that they could share in that.   I hoped for a little girl, but a little boy would've been perfectly fine too.   He'd have had some great big brothers to follow around!

Anyway, we have 24 hours to sign the papers.  It would be foolish not to.   We can't keep waiting for something that may never happen.     I just wish that infertility didn't filter into every decision, every aspect of our lives, even when it comes to buying and selling a home, but it does.   I should be used to that by now, I suppose.

God runs the show,   But sometimes I still get surprised by the story line.  

UPDATE 5/6/14:   We found out today that the contract on selling our home fell through, no fault of ours. The sale was contingent upon the buyer selling their previous home and things fell apart on that end.  So, we are back where we started...a house on the market which is the bad news, but we are still in the adoption pool until it does sell, which is the good news.    Please, God, let this be a blessing in disguise.  

6 comments:

  1. One of those decisions that pulls you in both directions. I'm sorry this looks like the end of the road for the possibility of adopting in the future. How wonderful to be able to sell your house so fast and yet how sad to see the end of a dream. You never know though, God may be opening a new door. Or maybe you'll be called to seek adoption again in your new state, after all. You never know. Hope the sale of the house goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kerri. I really prayed we'd get "the call" before the house sold but I knew the odds were against it. Your comment reminds me of that verse "If God opens a door, no person can close it and if God closes a door, no person can open it." Now I will pray for a new open door.

      Delete
  2. I'm praying you are feeling His peace with whatever decision you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca. It is all so bittersweet but I am trying to focus on my blessings.

      Delete
  3. Lynda, I am so sorry that this event triggers such feelings of loss. I will remember you in my prayers, that you receive comfort and guidance as you make more decisions around this move.

    We're not ready to enter into adoption yet, but I worry because we live in a 2 BR apartment, just fine for the 2 of us and a baby, but would we get chosen if we live in this apartment compared to a family in a house? Even though buying a house in our town is not a wise investment at this time, I often wonder if we should because that might influence our chances. IF really does bleed into everything.

    Hugs, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chella, thank you for the prayers. Our adoption window isn't completely closed yet, but will be in a few more weeks if all goes as planned. God's will be done, right?

      And regarding adoption, I can only speak from my experience and the experience of a few other adoptive parents I know. None of us were chosen by birthparents because of our economic status. The birthmother who chose us did so because she said we reminded her of someone else she knew and respected and because we are very pro-life. You just never know what will lead a birthparent into choosing you, should you decide to adopt.

      Delete