Monday, January 15, 2018

Blog Jump Start Week 4: Who Would I Invite To Dinner?



Another link-up with Donna in our blogging challenge.  This week, the challenge is to answer the question "Who Would I Invite To Dinner (living or deceased)?

This was a toughie.  I had to spend some time thinking about it and I really loved Rebecca's twist on it over at her blog.  Yes, the best people to eat dinner with are always those we love!  Nothing ever tops that and Rebecca nailed it.   I am thankful that my family eats together at least once, sometimes twice a day, but I also take that for granted too many times.  I know someday that I will be calling my boys and begging them to come visit me and their father and have dinner with us.  That day will come all too soon.

But, if I could fantasize and invite anyone, who would it be?  After giving it some thought, these three folks came to mind.  Theodore Roosevelt, Rachel Carson, and Flannery O'Connor.  Why these?  Well, Theodore Roosevelt was one of those larger than life people who had big ideas, big adventures and a big mouth (and he carried a big stick, right?).  He had to have been full of stories about Africa, South America, and the Great West.  He was fearless to a fault, and I love trying to figure out what makes people like that tick.

Rachel Carson would be another choice because I think we'd have a lot in common.  Since I was young, I've admired her and I used to want to be a lot like her.  She broke a lot of glass ceilings in her day and could get lost in a book, or on a walk in the woods, or just by watching a bird float on the wind.  I can relate to all of that.

And Flannery O'Connor would be my third guest.  I would love to invite her just to watch the expressions on her face as others around the table spoke.  Having read several of her stories, I think she understood human nature better than almost anyone, and I bet she could cut right through any conversation or story and get to the heart of the matter.  I can only imagine what she would think of Teddy and his boisterous, tall tales! Would she just sit quietly with a knowing look on her face, or would she challenge him with questions, or would she enjoy the antics and encourage him to talk more?  I would love to find out.

So that 's my short list.  I like to imagine Rachel and Flannery sitting next to other.  Two masters of the written word, trying to get a word in edgewise, while Teddy dominated the conversation.  All of us in mutual respect of the other, held together by a love of storytelling and maybe a little too much passion.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting choices! I have never heard of Rachel Carson, but will need to look her up now. You have me intrigued.

    Flannery O'Conner would be a very interesting guest I would imagine. I just recently started reading her works and she has a unique perspective on life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people either love or hate Flannery O'Connor's stories. You need to read Carson and I need to read Chesterton. :)

      Delete
  2. Flannery O'Connor keeps popping up for me - I'm wondering if there isn't a reason and something of hers I need to read. Any suggestions on where to start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could get a book of her collection of short stories and start from there. "A Good Man Is Hard to Find" is one of her most popular stories. Many of her stories show the dark side of human nature interspersed with moments of redemption and grace. They are full of grit and definitely give you lots of food for thought. I'd love to hear what you think if you read any of her works.

      Delete